Preparing for New York / What's in my Hand Luggage?

As I sit and write this, my suitcase is looming over me, nagging me to get packing but I can't, for the life of me find the motivation to do so! We leave for New York on 14th June, we don't fly from Manchester Airport until 15th but after staying up until 1am worrying whether we would make it to the airport in time in the snow for Amsterdam, I decided to proactively book a hotel near the airport the night before our flight.

Some would say it's a little early to start packing but with all the excitement of my birthday and preparing for our move once we're back, it needs doing in advance to get it out of the way.

I have prepared our itinerary to the second, everything is perfectly timed and should we decide we would like to stray from it we can but it's good to have an itinerary to fall back on for restaurant suggestions and time fillers.

I am slightly nervous for the flight, 8 hours will be the longest I have ever flown and I am trying to prepare by planning the films and discractions we can line up for the journey. We are going to bring a deck of cards, some snacks and the iPad which should be enough to get us by, I'm going to try to nap also as it will be 6pm UK time when we land in New York. I have also bought face masks which I cant wait to get a picture of Will and I wearing!

Anyway, less of the rambling... here's a couple of way's I'm preparing for our trip...
  • PLANNING - I feel a lot calmer knowing that we definitely have enough time to do everything that is on our itinerary and that we have enough time to get to one place from the other.
  • RESEARCH - I like to watch a lot of vlogs/read a lot of blog posts that show clearly what the experience will be like and give some advice, tips and hacks to making life easier out there. 
  • DOUBLE CHECKING - Visas, API, Passports, Insurance, Flights... I have double checked everything to the max to make sure we forget/overlook nothing! I have made sure to take photocopies of our passports to ensure we have backups should anything happen.
  • TRANSFERRING - All of our travel money has been put on a travel money card from The Post Office, it has been really efficient so far and I am excited to put it to use. We have saved enough to reach our goal and it's relaxing knowing that all of your money is safe. Will is keeping it in his wallet as I am useless at keeping track of all of my cards!

That's just a few of the ways I am preparing for our trip and we are partly being so prepared because it leaves room for so much more excitement when you know what's happening!

Which brings us onto the next part of my post...

What's in my Hand Luggage?  (6kgs)

  • Passports
  • Boarding Passes
  • Earphones
  • Phone and iPad
  • Moisturiser
  • Hand Sanitiser
  • Purse
  • Book
  • Cards
  • Travel Mascara
  • Small Lipstick
  • Water
  • Snacks
  • Portable Charger
  • Travel Sickness Pills 
  • Hoodie

Plus the various things that won't fit in my suitcase that need stuffing in my hand luggage last minute! I usually take advantage of the space that's always leftover in Will's suitcase but I'm pretty sure this time he will be taking just as much as me as it's New York and we want to dress for the occasion.

Thanks for reading this, I'm thinking of posting my itinerary up next, just in case anyone else visiting New York needs any inspo with their trip.

Until next time...
G x 

Comments

Popular Posts