Daisy May Young | Grief & Loss

So we had to make a little trip back to England for a week to pay our respects and say goodbye to the rock that holds the Young family together, my great grandma Daisy May Young. I got a phone call and immediately knew what had happened but luckily I had my friends and Will to support my grief.



She was 102 and what a phenomenal woman she was. At the funeral she was consistently described the only way I would describe her. Kind, charming, thoughtful, witty and strong. She had the greatest heart and I loved hearing all of the stories of her life and will hold them close to my heart forever. It hit me pretty hard but I knew she had a full and happy life.

It’s hard dealing with the grief after a loss, part of me is telling myself I’m being silly because she had such a good life but really, it’s still a loss of a person I will dearly miss. I am coping by watching old home movies of her, trying to carry on with normal life but I luckily have the support of Will, my friends and family to help me through it. I truly was lucky to know her.

The first stage I had was crying, all you feel at first is loss and sadness and how much you know in your heart you will miss them. The second stage was bittersweet, I was still sad but remembering what a happy life she had with my great Grandad and the beautiful family they made together and the final stage was acceptance. I accepted what had happened and that she was no longer in pain, finally at peace. I truly was lucky to know her.

Some people are not as fortunate as to be able to say the people they lost had a long life as sadly too many people are taken from us way too young. It really doesn’t matter the circumstances, if you are suffering from grief and/or loss please please please reach out to your friends and family or you can call the bereavement trust on 0800 435 455 FREE and they will be able to help you.

We will be heading back to France on Wednesday 1st August.

Until next time...

G x

Comments

Popular Posts