Working Away From Home | STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE TODAY!

I wanted to make an update post on life since I moved away from home to work abroad. Quitting my jobs, both my day job at a law firm and evening job at a restaurant felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I was stuck in a rut and my brain was no longer being challenged or excercised every day, my routine was like clockwork. Wake up, go to work, go to my other work, go to bed, repeat. It may have been the fact I didn't have my evenings/weekends to myself but all I knew was even though I had no idea what I wanted from life, this wasn't it.

I am extremely lucky to have such a supportive partner, Will was completely happy to look into it when I told him I wanted to get away for a while. I wanted something different and fresh, a new chapter in our life and he completely agreed. We applied to work abroad for a company that offers historical, educational tours for English school trips in Northern France on a six month contract and we managed to get the job offered to us within two weeks of applying. I waited out my notice periods, we went on our long awaited holiday to New York then we made our way to our new chapter in France.

That takes us right up to now. I am sitting typing this on my day off in bed with a cup of tea (I do miss English milk, as funny as it sounds!) We've been here three weeks and my life is already so much happier. I stepped out of my comfort zone and it has paid off, don't get me wrong it is very hard work and getting up early in the morning can be draining but I now have the afternoons to myself and my days off aren't always the same so I'm not stuck in a boring clockwork routine like I was. I love the part of my job that involves working with the children, they can be testing but it's great knowing you're impacting even thirty seconds of their experience.

We have been to a concert (all of the words were in French so we didn't understand much but the music and atmosphere were great!), picked up more French than we probably realise, and plan to visit Lille this Saturday, Brussels next month and Bruges and Paris before we leave.

If you're sitting at that desk, or on that sofa or in that bed wondering when your life is going to change, I can't recommend enough to just do it. Take control and just do it, look harder, search wider, explore your options and choose what's right for now. I thought too much about my future that I was miserable in the present, that is not what life is for. It's for living and keeping yourself happy.

I can now truly say I am happy and excited to see what adventures the next six months bring.

Until next time...

G x

Comments

Popular Posts