EXPLORING PARIS DAY 4

Bonjour again! If you've been keeping up with these blog posts then thank you so much, I appreciate each and every single one of you who read my posts. I am just now over 3,000 readers which is crazy considering I only posted my blog post thanking my first 1,000 readers two weeks ago, I find it absolutely amazing that so many of you are keeping up with what I have to say!





So today we woke up way earlier than yesterday and we were out of the door by 9am headed to the Catacombs of Paris. If you don't know what these are, they are a series of underground tunnels which hold the remains of over six million people within the walls. The graveyards in Paris in the 5th century were overflowing and to accommodate this, the idea was to move the bodies in black cloth covered carriages to these underground tunnels. They have become a popular tourist attraction in Paris because people are so curious to see them.

We got there twenty minutes before opening time (silly move!) and the streets were packed. The queue was ridiculous but we thought we'd join it and see what happened at 10 o'clock when the doors opened. Three hours and a stomach full of coffee later we were at the front door, ready to descend nearly a hundred feet underground into the creepy tunnels.



It was unlike anything I'd ever seen, the walls were made of bones, there were patterns in them using skulls, arm bones and leg bones.There were so many tunnels going off of the beaten path that were gated off so I can't imagine how long they go on for. It was surreal looking at them and realising that they were once actually human beings with lives. Some of the skulls had been badly damaged, some had gunshots in them and some of them were painted/stained.




After seeing the Catacombs it was around 2 o'clock and we decided to go off and do some shopping. We visited some charity shops and made a fun game of choosing an outfit for each other, Will is yet to see his but we're going to film it, haha! I bought an ASOS shirt dress also which is perfect for Disneyland tomorrow and it has made me all the more excited to go!

After shopping we headed back to the room to get some dinner on the go, I made us a vegetable curry and some cheesy chips and I was really impressed with it if I do say so myself! Feeling very stuffed, we had a little rest before heading out to have some drinks at Le Globe on the corner of our street, it's fast becoming our regular bar for this trip!

A few drinks really sorted us out and we headed to bed to have an early night before Disneyland.

Until tomorrow...

G x

Comments

Popular Posts