10 Lifesaving Short Haul Packing Tips

I am typing this with nine working fingers and one thumb bandaged up so I can't imagine this is going to be very easy, but hello guys! I managed to sprain or bruise the joint in my thumb whilst carrying a stack of chairs when a wall rudely appeared out of nowhere and bumped into me (not the other way around, I promise!). Anyhow, I wanted to do a post about some short haul packing tips I've picked up, and what better time to do it than whilst I'm packing for Italy?

1. Choose The Right Suitcase

You ideally want the lightest suitcase possible that fits with your airline requirements. I prefer hard shell suitcases as they protect my things better and they'll always fit in the overhead lockers as they're the same constant shape.

2. The Rolling Method

I'm sure you will have seen this before but I cannot stress enough how much more space it leaves you when you roll up your clothes instead of fold! It almost vacuum packs them as they're packed so tightly and, if your hand luggage is based on measurements not weight, all the better! As you'll see in the picture, all you have to do is tightly roll your clothes and wedge them next to each other leaving no space untouched.

3. Use Your Shoe Space

There is so much untouched space in your shoes that can be used for socks, jewellery or any other things that might fit in there. I don't have very big feet so I just use it for my socks so that they aren't taking up unnecessary room in my suitcase.

4. Rethink Your Make Up

This one seriously hurts me, I'm all for a full face and new eye look everyday but you will need to seriously rethink the amount of make up you're taking. This takes up way more room than it needs to and half of it I guarantee you won't use! If you're one for changing it up, find an eyeshadow palette with bright and nude colours so that your eye looks are all there in one palette. Remember a plastic sealed bag for the liquids and aerosols. If you don't have one, at least keep them separate so that you can grab one at the airport.

5. Bring Layers

You're bringing less, which means you won't be able to pack for both cold and hot weather but if you bring clothes that you can layer up, you'll be able to withstand those chilly evenings. You won't be able to fit thick clothes in there either so you want to pack clothes that are going to keep you warm.

6. Wear The Bulkiest Items

If you are reeaallyy desperate to take that jacket or that hoodie, wear it on the plane. It will save space and you'll be able to just tie it around your waist if it gets too hot on there. It saves it taking up half of your suitcase!

7. Wrap Your Belts

Any belts you're taking can be wrapped around the rolled clothing to avoid it needing to take up a corner of the suitcase. It will also help the clothes be rolled tighter.

8. Pack In Outfits

It'll save you so many random clothes that won't even make it out of your suitcase the whole trip. Find outfits that work together and pack them, you may not remember the outfit when you get there but you will be able to mix and match them and you'll have saved yourself wasted clothes and packing space.

9. The Bra Trick

Guys, you won't have to worry about this extra annoyance at having to take double the underwear when taking bras and pants but if you choose to wear bras, fold them in half and stuff your underwear inside the cups. I read this somewhere a while ago and the girl recommended it for keeping the bra's shape, but it's a great space saving hack too!

10. Cling Film Your Shoes

Once you've stuffed them within an inch of their life, cling film them! Not only will it tightly pack them, it will protect the rest of your clothes from getting dirty from the bottom of them. It will also keep the things in there protected.

And finally, don't forget your passport! Have a great trip!

Until next time...

G x

Comments

Popular Posts